Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Resigning - Do I tell them why? 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

joekm

Structural
Mar 18, 2004
US

In the past, when I've resigned, it's been driven by things like severe reduction in health care, or just normal career growth move.

While it is a career growth move in this case, the main reason I was even looking is because these guys didn't seem to know what to do with me. I sucked it up for a year but now I've been presented with a better offer.

If I were to tell them why, this is what I would probably say:

It seems that, when I first hired on here, management had no clear idea as to what role I was expected to fill. This has left me struggling to find ways to be effective and questioning my perceived value to [WITHELD].

I have now been with [WITHELD] for over a year and, while things have started to improve, I still find myself unsure regarding any real prospects for long term career growth.

Meanwhile, another company has come forward with a generous offer for my services and I have decided to accept.

My last day of employment will be [DATE].

never really quit due to bad management before...any thoughts?

--
Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
-- Albert Einstein

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had a similar situation once. I told them basically what you had written. I had also kept email records asking them for work and my concerns. I was honest. They thought it was all BS and made up, but I didn't care. Look out for yourself (and family).

Chris
SolidWorks 06 5.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 02-10-07)

Joe,

I would not word it as you have written. I would keep it simple and just state that you are resigning, and your date of final employment will be xx/xx/xx. You never know whether or not things may change, and you may someday want to return to that company for work. Management changes. Turnover happens. Don't burn any bridges by writing why, even if it's honest.

Now, when they invariably ask, then you can simply state a tactful message along the lines of what you have written, but I would not put it into your resignation letter. It is unnecessarily opening up a can of worms.

-Tony Staples

Give nothing but the dates you will be leaving and a forwarding address for mail. Perhaps a general expression of thanks for the opportunities. NEVER BURN BRIDGES BEHIND YOU, the future may hold a surprise return.

Just politely say you found a offer you could not refuse. What would writing that note really accomplish? Chances are they will just rationalize it away, and you will be considered the guy with a case of sour grapes for no reason, or the the guy who could just never quite fit in to the team, or even that lousy b*@$# Joe, who we should never have hired in the first place, good riddance.

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

Good advice guys, thanks....sometimes, the smartest thing is knowing when you need "another pair of eyes" to look it over.

--
-- Albert Einstein

Leaving a company and presenting the resignation always carry a lot of mental emotion and some adrenlin which can fog your mind.

Keep it simple like SMS and TStaples indicated. Head the warning about the future that Civilperson indicates.

Afterall, if you are leaving because of management issues, anything else in the resignation letter wouldn't be understood the way you would like it to.

Good Luck!

Some companies have a verbal forumn where an HR person may debrief you as you leave. Its the time for you to help others in your situation, not a time to berate others in your department. Take a high road out.

dcasto and Tony make good points about taking the high road.

However, with much respect I disagree with giving information to the HR person. Here is why:

1) Giving information may not actually help your colleagues

2) The HR person will report what you say to management

3) If you have any good ideas that could help the company, don't give them for free. Wait until you are no longer an employee and can charge them for these ideas

There was a similar forum a while back
thread732-168154

Ok, I think some good point were made about it being ultimately pointless to point out any problems as I'm leaving. So, I'll go with something like this:

===========
I have recently been contacted by a nearby aircraft modification facility who asked if I would be interested in becomming their staff structural DER.

While I appreciate the opportunity you have given me, this offer is too good not to accept.

My last day of employment will be [DATE].
==========

Then, no parting shots....just walk away...

--
-- Albert Einstein

I like it, just be prepared for questions like "what can we do to get you to stay?" That has happened to me most every time I changed jobs. I firmly believe that once you have made up your mind it is a mistake to change it and accept a counter offer. If you do, you basically become a target, are considered disloyal, and will be the first to be let go in the event of cut backs. Have a gracious answer ready, like "Thanks I am flattered, but I have committed to this move and it would not be right to back out on them now."

As for the HR debrief, I have tried to be honest with HR, but quite honestly you can burn bridges by saying the wrong thing to them as well, and they are every bit as likely to rationalize, or twist the results of the intereview. I would probably just decline the exit interview.

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

I would think twice about giving any reason or saying where you are going.

Just the facts, along the lines of "I hereby tender my resignation and 2 week notice (or however long yours is) as such my last day of work will be XX/YY/ZZ.
"

The last paragraph you had is quite nice, thanking them for the opportunity they've given you.

Even when I quit from a job as a drug store cashier, which I'd had to take while waiting for an engineering position, I still kept it very cordial. This despite the fact they'd screwed me over and I had plenty to say!

joekm, I'm inclined to not even mention the specifics about the offer from the other company. Just mention the fact that you are resigning, the final date, thank them about the opportunities they've given you, then close off with a comment about your willingness to offer them a smooth transition.

I second whyun in his oppinion. There is no added value to say in the letter that you got another offer and it was too good to let go and so on. In your resignation letter you should keep it to the minimum demanded by law and put a general "thank you for the opportunities" phrase.
I only passed trough that experience once and despite everybody knew that I was leaving the company (and in fact leaving the country), in my resignation letter I didn't mention any of that.
And as said by others, you will eventually go back to the same company and after some years, persons will only remember what is written, all the rest will become fuzzy.

I've kept in contact with past employers and friends their, and believr it or not, after I had a candid exit interview, my friends said changes were made. Now, the changes may have been in the works, but something good came out of it. Now, my points were not whiney things, facts on salaries (i even downloaded salary data for them). No personal attacks on people. Report on systems and changes in them.

A good friend of mine was miserable at the company we worked at. He resigned with a letter that said "I have decided to leave to pursue other opportunities. Thank you for the opportunity to participate in this team. My last day will be _________". He asked me to read it and I couldn't believe that he wasn't slamming the idiots that had made is life hell for 6 months. His response was that his revenge was for them to have to finish the project without him. Three years later I ran into him in the halls and he was back as a consultant and happy as he could be.

I've always thought his letter was just about perfect and his attitude couldn't be beaten. Don't explain. Don't elaborate. Just maintain a classy non-confrontational exit.

David

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The harder I work, the luckier I seem

Don't tell 'em where you're going. They may poison the well. I am not kidding.

Don't tell 'em why you're leaving. The HR Director is paid big bucks to figure that out. Don't make it easy for that <uncomplimentary words deleted>.

Don't thank anyone. You'll piss off the ones you forget.

Don't accept a counteroffer. You'll be first out when it's convenient for them.

Resist all attempts at arranging an exit interview. If you are forced to attend, say nothing. If you are coerced to speak, say nothing in the fewest words possible.

Write nothing, especially as email. If coerced, write nothing in as few words as possible.

Be polite, be gracious, be silent, be gone.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back