Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resin Rich between individual plys

Status
Not open for further replies.

goyo0812

Aerospace
Jul 8, 2015
KR
This part is made by ATL machines using CFEP UD Tape
some parts have been rejected due to resin rich between individual plys after NDT inspection
I am trying to know how this issue happened though,
there was no any change in roller presure and No difference in bagging and cure process
Do you have any idea?
Someone told me that there would be some possibility that the contents of resin in raw material may cause this kind of resin rich

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How are resin rich areas being found by NDT? Where did the accept/reject criteria come from? Typically it takes actual voids or porosity to show up in NDT. Have you cut up parts and photo'd cross sections to verify the condition.

Resin rich areas can come from material variations, low pressure in local areas ( bag bridging, tooling mismatch), etc.

The defect was found as FO(Foreign Objective)by NDT. after doing section cut, i relaized that the defect was NOT FO BUT Resin Rich

If the issue is not actually a plastic film liner left in the part, the cause would be a high resin content. If this is in a radiused area it could be due to fiber bridging where the gap between plies filled with resin.

Check the tightness of the bag as the vacuum is drawn down, sometimes this can be caused by the bag material not being free to move over the surface of the layup. Bridging across corners is common when this happens.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

about 4times compare to nomal thickness of resin layer between plys, Yes it is in a flat area
this resin rich occured over certain area of the entire area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back