Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resonance in Balded Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domainpower

Mechanical
Sep 13, 2012
IN
i would highly appreciate if someone could clear my doubt regarding resonance condition of a cyclic structure (say Bladed disk). Most of the articles mention two conditions to be respected:
matching frequency ( excitation force and natural frequency)
matching nodal diameter of the structure with force shape (m=k).
My question is linked with the second condition
i have found in some papers this condition more completely mentioned in the form
k = Nn + m and k = Nn- m.
where N is the number of blades and n = 0,1,2,3...

which shows that a positive work can be done on a bladed disk even when the shape of the force is larger than N/2 on a
lower nodal diameter.Can someone explain this?

Is this applicable to a particular kind of bladed disk (say packeted bladed disk) or it is applicable in general to any configuration of bladed disk?

Regards
Rajesh Kachroo
Alstom Power

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not familiar with the equations that you posted, maybe the referenced paper was specific to a particular kind of bladed disc.

My experience is that the nodal diameters are calculated using modal analysis (FEA), then plotted versus the forcing function (nozzle/vanes and operating speed) via a safe diagram to see which mode shapes align with the forcing function in the operating range. Even though the mode shapes/frequencies change with the blade count, they are not directly related to the modal frequencies to the point that a simple equation as listed above could be used.

Maybe you could link the paper referenced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back