Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resonant Frequency of water molecule 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel

Mar 7, 2000
CA
I am embarking on a study to determine whether a water molecule can be destroyed by forcing it to vibrate at is resonant frequency.&nbsp;&nbsp;Any information will be appreciated. <p>Nigel Waterhouse<br><a href=mailto:n_a_waterhouse@hotmail.com>n_a_waterhouse@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>A licensed aircraft mechanic and graduate engineer. Attended university in England and graduated in 1996. Currenty,living in British Columbia,Canada, working as a design engineer responsible for aircraft mods and STC's.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you could get the atoms in the molecule to vibrate at the resonant frequency with the bonds acting as springs, it would destroy the atom as long as the vibrations were not damped out before they could &quot;add&quot; to each other. Also, mocrowaves do not cause a molecule to vibrate like a mass-spring system, but to rotate and rub against each other. So the problem becomes how to get the molecules to vibrate like a mass-spring system.

How do you plan to &quot;make it vibrate&quot;?

I have read up on extracting H2 from water, and thermally assisted electrolysis was discussed quite a bit.

According to some sources I read, water thermally decomposes into H2 and O2 at about 5000 centigrade.

If all you want is to crack water molecules, brute-force heat will do it.

Now, if you're looking for ways of generating hydrogen without the brute force method, using radio waves (microwaves) to crack steam might be an approach to try.

Just a few thoughts. :)

For a completely different spin on this, what happens when I strap on a 2.4-2.5 GHz headphone on? Are the water molecules in my head resonating? How much power is too much?

Surely any resonance that would happen on an atomic level would be damped out by macroscopic motion of the liquid?

Can a liquid HAVE a resonant frequency?

Could you explain a bit more of your theory?

Many thanks, HM

No more things should be presumed to exist than are absolutely necessary - William of Occam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back