Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resonators and balance pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveChild

Electrical
May 28, 2008
GB
I have a V8 with a 2 plane crank and matched primaries/4:1 collectors/secondary pipes feeding into seperate resonator boxes exiting in absorbtion silencers.

Where should I put the balance pipe?

Close to the collectors, anywhere along the secondary or between the resonators.

What would the effect be if I combined resonators?

Advice much appreciated

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

before the resonators, other than that the rest just depends on wave timing and what your after, really complex to try to calculate.

I suggest in the gap between the back of the engine and the front of the lower bell housing so pulling the engine or trans doesn't get harder and it is conveniently tucked away and not hanging down.

Not sure the effect is related to pulse tuning is it not more a capacity thing? With 2 plane cranks the pulses are uneven and I suspect the pulses in the secondary pipe are muddled up anyhow.

Also it would allow the silencers to "share" the load hance my query about a shared resonator.

Cheers

David

It also shares sound waves and increases frequency to a less audible area, or so I have been told by I can't remember who?

Bottom line is less back pressure as both pipes are available for the volume peaks when 2 cylinders fire consecutively on one bank and the sound waves are blended in the pipes instead of in the atmosphere.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I was told a really grassroots way of determining where to put mine and I think it worked but its hard to tell.

Go buy a 93-cent can of wal mart white spray paint. Paint your exhaust. Don't worry about coverage or looking nice, just get a relatively representative amount of paint on it. Run it, check the paint. Keep running and checking and see where the paint is starting to get heat damage. The theory is that wherever the heat is highest indicates sections where harmonic waves are "stacking up" and making high pressure areas. Find the hot spots on both pipes and connect between them. Of course a small investement in an IR temp gun from Harbor Freight could accomplish the same thing without the ugly paint :)

X pipes are much less picky about where they are. As long as they're before the mufflers you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back