Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resource Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonkers

Mechanical
May 13, 2008
US
ASME BPVC Sect. VIII Div. 1 Appendix 1-5 (g) states that conical sections (cone-to-cylinder junction) with a half-apex angle greater than 30 degrees may be used if the design is based on special analysis, such as the beam-on-elastic foundation analysis of Tomoshenko, Hetenyi, or Watts and Lang. Does anyone know where to find these resources and how it applies to vessel cylinders as opposed to a beam? I have an eccentric 36" x 16" cone reducer 24" long with an angle of 39.8 degrees which may or may not require reinforcement.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Bonkers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See "Pressure Vessel Design Handbook", Henry Bednar, Section 8.6.

Other references are available too. Get ready for some complex calculating.

Thanks guys, good suggestions. I will research the PV Design Handbook but I don't like complex calculating, just the ordinary kind. My original design to the client did have a "stretched" cone of 34 11/16" with a 30 degree angle. The client advised that he has bought a cone and it was a "standard" 24" size. I didn't know that these were standard available components. I told him that I would inquire to see if I can determine if he can use it. Thus, my request for a resource.

Thanks,
Going Bonkers

Is this a standard 24" pipe reducer? Produced to ASME B16.9 pipe fittings standard? If so, then simply use the rules of UG-44 to rate the reducer to same MAWP as for straight pipe of same schedule. Easy.

Tom,

This is suposed to be a straight wall eccentric cone reducer without any "knuckle " radius for PV shell. Material SA-516 70N, 1" thick. Not pipe.

-Bonkers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back