Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resources for Foundations for Vibrating Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsengr

Structural
Apr 3, 2005
US
Hi,

I am lookinng for some good resources on the analysis and design of foundations for vibrating equipment. Do you know of any? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have any resources, we are a heavy industrial engineering firm and we always design the foundation for vibrating equipment to have a mass of 3 times the equipment weight.

ACI puts out a document ACI 351.3R-04 Foundations for dynamic equipment. It is a pretty good read and has a lot of useful information. SlideRuleEra also has some documents on his website that are decent to look at. You will find a lot of people using a 3-5 times mass ratio. I use it as a rule of thumb to get you in the ballpark.

Thanks y'all, for that useful information. Keep 'em coming. That reference to SlideRuleEra's website is really useful. I've downloaded a copy of the "Principles of Foundation Design for Engines and Compressors" and will look at it shortly.

SRE,

What I like most about a lot of the things that you put on your website is that it is mostly real world stuff that you can use that is not dependent on computers or a degree in mathmatics to apply. More often than not you just need a reasonable approximate solution that will work and not 20 hours of analysis to get there. Thanks for everything you put on the site and to everyone that contributes to it. As a younger engineer I am always eager to absorb the "older" methods, which are becoming more and more difficult to get your hands on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back