Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Response Spectrum Analysis of Irregular Wood Structures - SAP2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohzus

Civil/Environmental
May 1, 2015
CA
Does SAP2000 perform RSA of wood structures? Is wood in the catalog of materials used?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've zero experience in working with wood structures but still would be happy to share my thoughts on this.

Is wood in the catalog of materials used?
I don't think so. But I guess you'll be able to custom define the essential material properties for wood, that is an orthotropic material, using advance material property data option.

Does SAP2000 perform RSA of wood structures?
Most software perform analysis using stiffness matrices which basically requires three main inputs.
Modulus of elasticity of the materials; E,
Cross-sectional properties, A & I and
Length of the members L.
So as far as only analysis of wood structure is concerned then the answer IMO will be, Yes.. Sap2000 may give you correct analysis results if you have accurately defined the material model, geometry of the frame and the provided joint stiffneses.

As far as "Response spectrum analysis" is concerned, it is nothing but a combination of analysis, performed for base shears corresponding to the time periods of each mode shape. These mode shapes are obtained from modal analysis which determines the deformed shape of your structure, based on defined stiffness and mass matrices.
Thus, again, if you've correctly input the data used for assembling the stiffness matrix then, sap2000 may give reliable results.

Having said this all, someone with experience in design of wood structures could give you more dependable response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back