Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restart/continuation with changes in boundary conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahildershavn

Mechanical
Nov 27, 2015
NO
Hello,

I have a three point roller bending process for an aluminium profile. I decided to split the process into two simulations. The first simulation is to lower the top center roller down onto the workpiece to get an initial bending. This simulation(Model-1-exp-13mm), a dynamic explicit, ended successfully. I now want to push the profile through the roller gap to increase the arch length of the bending. I thought to do this by adding a BC displacement to the nodes at the undeformed end. This displacement are to be ca. colinear with the undeformed profile.

My goal is therefore to restart/continue the simulation and removing and adding some boundary conditions. I have created a new Model (Model-1-exp-13mm-restart) and checked the "read data from job" etc. But how do I get the geometry and all the settings from the first model transferred to the new model? I do not want to setup everything anew. I have already tried creating a new simulation by importing geometry etc. but this ended poorly as contacts contacts were lost and I had problems with penetration of workpiece through tools.

please help me...!

Check pictures

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why don't you do it in one analysis with multiple steps?

Otherwise you have the Import and the Restart-method.
With Import you transfer only the workpiece to the second analysis and have have to define everything else new.
with Restart everything is transferred and you can add a new step and change existing options (Load, BC).

The manual has more details to all this.
I recommend trying such new methods on a small and fast running example first.

I do want to go for a restart/continuation.

But the manual does not give details on the practical bits.

1.) Do I run the simulation then make the changes on the same Model? So in my case, do I just make the necessary changes to "Model-1-exp-13mm" and suppress old loads and add new ones?
2.) How do I load the deformed geometry so that I can redefine local coordinatesystems?

Thanks for all the help.

-Andreas-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back