Restoring Cut Reinforcement in Column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng_Struct

Structural
Sep 23, 2022
CA
Hi Group,

Contractor working on one of our project has cut through the foundation wall at the corner. The corner is detailed as a column as it supports loading from two levels above. Any suggestions how to reinstate the capacity?

I was thinking of thickening the corner on the inside or outside and taking the thickness all the way to the footing; essentially creating another column. The obvious choice for the thickening will be using concrete material. I can provide steel reinforcement in the new thickened section and also add dowels to tie the new to the existing.

However, I am wondering if anything can be done with the steel. The Owner wants to implement a solution that is quick i.e., steel reinforcement either on the inside or the outside but I am not sure about the best solution to tie the steel back into the wall.

Option C can be similar to Option A but only take it down below the damaged section; something like a corbel that picks up the overhang with the column above.

I wonder if chipping above and below the opening and adding couplers with new vertical bars can be a viable solution.

Thanks in advance!
Sketch_n3lbss.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you say cut does that mean they saw cut into the column and severed the vertical bars? If the steel is weldable then I would chip out the affected area and weld in a splice. Even if not weldable I would be inclined to do that as sufficient pre-heat can significantly mitigate the embrittlement concerns since this doesn't seem like a condition where robust ductility is super duper important (technical term).

If you go the coupler route: this thread has a decent discussion of mechanical coupling in similar circumstances (similar in the sense of space constraints) that you'd need to look into before going down that road. In that same thread JoshPlumbSE provides links to a quick-wedge coupler that looks like it may be suitable for this application.

Capture_yr79co.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back