Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restriction Orifice 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiegla1

Chemical
Mar 20, 2006
US
Hello all,
I am trying to size a restriction orifice that will drop the pressure in a line from 1000psi to ~300psi. Flow is 300GPM in a 3" line. Would venturi be better in this case and would the high DP destroy the RO? Any good eqns to size this? Ive been ref. Crane 410.
THanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Djack,
Aside from the point that in my example (if that is the example you referenced) the pump was 70% efficient, your explanation parallels my understanding of the phenomenon, and pretty much the second law of thermodynamics.

Energy is conserved. No matter what you do, it all winds up as heat sooner or later. And if you recirculate fluid through an orifice, or place an electric fan in a closed box, or just drag your thumb on a bicycle tire, all the energy going in as work will go into waming stuff up.

Guys, thanks for straightening me out. The lost work is due to friction loss which heats up the flowing fluid. Hmmm, must have been a brain fart or something.

Good luck,
Latexman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back