Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Results in composit modelling - Orientation definition 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaldemarHH

Mechanical
Jan 23, 2024
DE
Hey guys,

I'm quite new to this Forum and I wanted to ask a question regarding the definition of material orientation and the influence on the results in Abaqus. I need the orientation dependent Stresses and strains in the lamina to transfer them to my microscopic RVE Model. The key Problem is, that the orientations for S11, S22 (and S33) are dependent on the orientation of the Material. In my understanding, the S11 Stresses should be oriented in X direction of the viewport in ODB. Is there some setting I need to change? The model consists of a simple (0,90)s layupt at first.

I'll attach a screenshot of the S11 plot. If there's anything more needed, I'll add it.

Kind regards,
Waldemar

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a7cc0357-0603-41a9-9ae0-ce455cc5a025&file=Eng_Tipps_Screenshot.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, stress/strain outpur is in local coordinates when material orientation is defined. But you can use Result —> Options —> Transformation to get the results in a user-specified coordinate system (has to be created first).

Thank You! I was uncertain about the transformation, but now I do understand.
Is there a way to show the nodal displacement vectors in form of (U1,U2,U3)?

I see most of the questions in this Forum are answered by You. Thank You for that, too. Some threads helped me a lot!

You can export the displacement components to a text file (in a tabular form) and then post-process them as you wish to obtain the desired format (comma-separated values). For export, you can use the built-in report generation feature.

I’m glad that you’ve found something helpful in older threads. This forum became a huge knowledge base over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back