Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resume Format Question (Opinions) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanDotson

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2003
US
I always like to keep an updated resume even if I'm not looking. I recently came back to a company I used to work for as their Engineering Manager. To complicate things they have changed names in this period.

My question is how to list this on my resume. I current have my experience listed in chronological order (from most present to first). So do I list this company as two entries (under 2 names) or pull the info from the first time I was there up into the top listing.

Make sense?

Sean Dotson, PE
Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Inventor Tutorials & More

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could keep your chronological listing as it shows "career progression" and I would agree with Corus that in your entry for where you returned to the company and it then changed names to use: New Name, (formerly... Old Name). Since you left and then came back, I would preserve the earlier history as unique.

Regards,

Seperation of the entries with identification that both are the same company also has other benefits. It says to the prospective employer that at least one company thought you were good enough to hire back.

I would reverse corrus' approach. Put the current name as date-to-present and down on the old entry put "Old Company (currently doing business as New Name)".

Either way works, but somehow it seemed clearer (on my resume) to list the new name without clarification and the old name with the clarification.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The Plural of "anecdote" is not "data"

I did much the same thing, returning to the same job two years later.

Now my resume is achievement based. It lists my achievements in order of importance to what I want to do next and ignores specific employers other than a listing of them.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Rick,

I just finished suggesting to someone that he more closely associate his achievements with the organizations in which he made them. His resume currently divorces the two, and it almost looks like he as 25 years experience, 2 years out of his M.S. I suggest that your approach works with someone as accomplished as yourself, but with a rookie, it's safest to fly under the wing of your employers.

Steven Fahey, CET
"Simplicate, and add more lightness" - Bill Stout

The only rule about resumes is that there are no rules about resumes.

Simply present the basic data in the way that shows you to the best light. Don’t lie or overstate the facts, be honest and put the best spin on your circumstances that you can.

Most people can read between the lines and returning to the same job is not always a negative, simply say leaving was a mistake and you corrected it.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Leaving may not even have been a mistake. The best opportunity at point A was with company 1, at point B with company 2, at point C with company 1 again. So what? The fact that they took you back shows that leaving to begin with wasn't because of anything you did wrong.

I honestly don't see any kind of hireability problem. Then again I don't think SeanDotson did either; it *was* a format question. "zdas04" is right about the format.

Hg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back