Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resume Inflation 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfpe

Electrical
Jul 18, 2007
US
I came across a former junior coworker's resume on a networking site. He had vastly overstated his achievements and job responsibilities. For example he said he "managed" one job where I recall he couldn't read any of the drawings or even talk intelligently to the electrician.

Has anyone else seen this? Do I just ignore it? I'm a little concerned about what will happen if we ever end up competing for the same job.

John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. If the "junior engineer" is not registered the State Board" isn't likley to consider the case at all.
2. If he is and they do look at it there more like to be like Casseopia than anyone else here.
3. Boards in states that I am registered in do not accept annoynmus complaints. You better have you facts straight, if you don't prepaired to be sued.

EddyC said:
State regulations indicate that an engineer shall not say anything that attacks a fellow engineer's reputation.
Per the thread on determining if you're an engineer, I'm not one based upon the fact that I'm not a P.E. Therefore, I can disparage someone's reputation without concern :)

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Truth used to be an absolute defense against libel... but recent and pending events could change that. We seem to be infected with a bad case of groupthink, and worse. I hope it's not terminal.

Some professional boards seem to make it up as they go, much like a kangaroo court. Pardon the expression.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

In the UK, at one time, it didn't matter if it were true, it was still actionable though I think it has changed a bit now.

It was the damage caused, whether by truth or lies, that was at issue. This could be justifiable if the truth served no other purpose than damage, I guess.

Today even newspapers can be sued successfully.

JMW

On this site we are mostly engineers and not lawyers. Criminal law often defines acceptable defenses. In civil law much is in the hands of a jury. My preference would be to avoid the lawyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back