Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Resume writing - advice needed for transitional engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.

arokisbobcat

Industrial
Oct 27, 2009
US
I have a general question about transitioning back into engineering and how I should tailor my resume.

Ten years ago I graduated with an Industrial degree but went into the business/software world afterwards. In a desire to do something different and get back into engineering, I have begun working towards a second bachelor's in ME with about 10 courses remaining.

When I post my resume on sites I quickly receive responses related to business positions although I have clearly written my resume that indicates I am seeking engineering employment.

I have a couple questions. Should I eliminate these business positions and their details from my resume and just place my title and company and time employed to indicate that I have been employed? Or is there value in showing my accomplishments in these roles? Secondly, how should I approach seeking ME positions as an degreed IE who is obtaining an ME degree?

Thanks in advance for suggestions/feedback.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most of the time, you have to customize your resume to answer the bulleted requirement and proficiency list that the company posted in their job advertisement. If coming from a different field, this may be difficult. You will have to find out what skills can be transferable from your previous work to the ME position. I’m sure you can transfer all of your professional dealings with customers and companies, effective communication, and the like. But, for ME skills, you will have to rely on the classes you have taken in school. Maybe instead of a traditional resume format of Objective, Experience, … etc, you place the answers to the bulleted requirements and proficiency between Objective and Experience titled “Relevant Skill Set” so that the reader (HR or the hiring manager) will see your ME / Professional skill before seeing your past experience. Be warn that you may be offered entry level ME I positions or slightly better.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity”
"People get promoted when they provide value and when they build great relationships"

To add, with your business background coupled with ME degree, you may also be qualified for a Manger position.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity”
"People get promoted when they provide value and when they build great relationships"

In my opinion, all experience is relevant experience. You will somehow have to make it 'stand out' that you would prefer ME positions. Try attending job fairs where you get to talk briefly with the company representative at the fair. This way you can explain your objective in person. A lot of times the reps at fairs take notes on the candidates and you might be able to get your point accross.

I agree with Twoballcane, you might be qualified for a manager type position in the ME industry based on your previous experience.

engineering manager with no engineering experience? I would think not. engineering and project managers would typically have at least 10 years engineering experience and perhaps a lot more, plus an aptitude / ability to manage people. you should be applying for an entry level engineering position and the other experience may just be a bonus, you should be a lot more mature than the fresh college grad.

IME, 6 years of work in call centers & technical support after BSME = entry level caliper boy job on return to engineering. Useful experience, but the only interest I got was entry level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back