Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resume 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel3

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2004
IN
If you omit a previous job on your resume is this improper?
I am trying to market myself in a certain area of design. I had a previous job for about a year that was in a different area and more like data entry, even though I was actually called an engineer. The rest of my employment history pertains to the type of position I am again seeking.
I am leaving this job off my resume because I think it's irrelevant to the companies I am interviewing with, and it takes up space on my resume I could use otherwise. What do you think?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will find a huge pool of differing opinions on this issue. Do what YOU think is honorable and be prepared to face the consequences of your actions.

Typically people post the LAST three job positions. I throw out the people I consider "Job hoppers", those that get a new job every three years. I also notice if someone has a gap in the listings, such as leaving off a year. I'll want to know why.

Those that do consulting have a harder time listing experiences as the list gets long.

Good luck.

daniel3:

Instead of worrying about listing all of your past experiences, just make a subheading on your resume for "Relevant Experience". This will give the interviewer all the relevant information without wasting resume space. Usually employers have you fill out an application which will ask for All previous employment information; I would not leave the info. off the application.

Good luck!

jproj

jproj,
That is a good idea. Since Daniel only has one-year here to worry about, it would probably work well for him. He should be prepared to explain why he left it off if asked though. Some people see this as a problem area (suspicious). Daniel should have a good reason ready to explain why he thought it irrelevant, also why he took the job to begin with. On the other hand, all "interviewers" are different.

The type of resume is also a factor here.

If you use a chronological one, a gap tends to jump out at someone. If you use a functional resume, it's much less obvious if even possible to identify a gap. In fact, I've read some articles suggesting with functional resumes you should leave out non-relevant materials in your resume if you are targetting a specific field/niche. I think most engineers use chronological resumes but that's not to say other forms aren't applicable or aren't valid.

Back to your question, leaving out information on your resume is not 'wrong' IMO. However, if you disguise/hide the gap by changing dates on the jobs before/after this period, that would be considered deceit by pretty much everyone (not that I'm implying this is what you are doing). If you are going to put it on paper, make sure it's true.

When I'm hiring, I look for employment chronology going back to the candidate's school days. This can be nothing more complicated than a list of employer, supervisor's name and address. Any omission tend to jump out at me. Most importantly, I'm interested in relevant experience. Obviously, the candidate selects what they consider relevant, transferable skills and knowledge.

My advice is don't leave anything out if you don't want to draw attention to a certain job. Omissions tend to stand out. You don't have to list your experiences at every firm, but bear in mind the human eye has a knack for spotting to odd items in a list.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back