Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

retain 20 m saturated sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

KULTUR

Geotechnical
Sep 5, 2001
TR
I need to retain the soil for a foundation pit of depth 20m. The soil medium is a homogenous sand (SP-SM) and standart penetration values reach 30 at 10 meters and greater than 50 at 20 meters. The groundwater table is 6 meters from the ground.

The routine procedure in Turkey is to use tangent bored piles tied back by a series of rows of anchors.

However I have some doubts about the watertightness of tangent piles and another concern is the capacity of ground anchors in a saturated sand medium.

I would be thankful for any kind of recommendations.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I tend to disagree with BigEasy as sheet piles for such a deep excavation tend to deflect quite a bit not to mention the difficulty in installation, increased requirement for anchorage, and the problem of leakage. I would still favor the secant pile option; although it has its own problems, but it is a stiffer system requiring fewer rows of anchors, and localized leakage areas can always treated locally by injection.

Tsoft;

You can use sheet pile wall and strut from the inside - many pictures of years gone by on this in books. Also, you could use a circular sheet wall and use concrete rings on the inside for stiffeners - to keep from deflecting and add stability. This is similar to the first comment but you would have no internal hindrances. This was done on a very large project years ago in Buffalo as I remember.

hello.. i have a question aboout sheet piles.

i am designing a sheet pile that will serve as a "basin divider wall". when i am designing for the slope stability analysis, i would like to know is is there approach about how to define the path of the water under the sheet pile and on the other side of the wall.

This case is assuming one basin is full and the other basin is empty, i have had problems about how to define or approximate the path of the water in the zone that is for the empty basin.

please reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back