Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retain tool in boolean remove 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thixoguy

Automotive
Feb 2, 2006
CA
Hi All,

I am wondering if there is a way to retain the the solid that I use in a boolean remove other than first making a copy of it? In UG there is the option "retain tool/target".
Anything similar in catia?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A great big thanks to all, especially Derek!! Have a star!!
But I am afraid I have yet, some more brain picking to do
(I really should fedex you some tylenol)

Getting back to the 4 cavity tool, how would you handle it if ,say,the parts needed to be in seperate inserts with each cavity having a slightly different cooling configuration? The way I would do it is bring in my master file 4 times and constrain it in the mould assy. I would then create a new file for each core and cavity insert (4 cavity and 4 core in context of the assy) and then I would copy/paste with link a "master core or cavity" into the respective new files. I could then create seperate water configurations for each insert yet maintain associativity if any engineering changes come up. Is this how you would approach it?

I don't publish my geometry( I will try to read up on that)

I also keep links with selected objects.

Also, do you use the mould design package? We have it at my new job but I would prefer to design without it for now until I get a little more experience in Catia.

Thanks again ,thixoguy

Thixoguy -- if I could only take the star and put it on my refridgerator! Thanks.
Publications are a time/date stamped pointer that will provide stability to your assemblies. Nothing much to do other than publicate the geometry that you want to share and toggle the option I metioned earlier.
On to the 4 cavity. I need a bit more info from you
1) how large in MB is the part file
2) could your workstation handle 4 cavity inserts in at once
3) if you are not using publications you must be working in design mode and not visual. Difference being cache turned on in options.
4) Using CATDrawings with this?
5) Attaching water fittings as CATParts

Regards,
Derek

DBezaire,

I am not actually creating a 4 cavity tool at htis time, so I don't know how large the file will be but I am pretty sure my work computer can handle 4 cavities at once. What I am more interested in is the actual procedure involved. Is it like the way I described it in my earlier post?

I am going to start using publications, they seem quite useful.

I will be creating drawings for all components.

Fittings,screws,corepins and ejector pins will be seperate catparts.

Thanks again, thixoguy

Thixoguy - I am going to assume it is 4 cavity inserts on 1 common plate. If this is true you have a Master parting line file containing 1 join of cavity data with split lines large enough to split the insert block (reason I keep assuming 4 inserted blocks on 1 common plate - you stated seperate different water circuits for cavity). Pitch and rotate the remaining 3 cavities for later use. Publish out the cavities. In your assembly you should have 4 separate CATParts (for each insert) Make 1 of these CATParts your lead cavity insert. I would build the insert around ABS zero. Also build all the common items in 1 chunck of the solid structure. After this you can Assemble the features. This will create a new body under an assemble command. Publish this new body out for the remaining 3 cavity blocks. Copy/paste with link to the other 3 cavities. The subtraction for the water circuit should appear after the assembly command in the master Part body.
You are on the right track, you will only need 1 master file.

Regards,
Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back