Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

retaining wall and shear wall interaction with slab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnySm

Structural
Feb 2, 2017
GB
Hello,

Basic few questions. scenario = basement box comprising of rc raft, RC retaining wall all the way round, ground floor flat slab. superstructure over with concrete core that spans from basement to top floor).

1. can a RC retaining wall that spans the entire perimeter of a basement with superstructure over and shear wall core in the center, be used for additional lateral stiffness. i.e can the retaining walls be modeled as shear walls? im inclined not to do this, as i do not want to under design my central core. aka its conservative to assume all the shear to go through the core, but this seems extremely conservative?

2. if i want there to be a transfer of shear from the slab to the perimiter basement wall i assume the wall also needs to be designed against retaining forces as a vertically spanning fixed fixed beam? normally i would design the wall as a propped cantilever (pinned at the top) but given that i want it to act as a shear wall the connection between the ground slab and top of retaining wall means there would be fixity?

3. the moment from the base of the wall would need to be transferred into the outer edges of the raft slab under and designed for accordingly? not just the vertical pressure. i feel like some people oversite this?

thank you in advance.

JS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back