Retaining Wall Design - Text with Examples

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamestkirk

Structural
May 31, 2005
CA
Good Day,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good resource text with respect to the design and construction of retaining walls.

In reading the forums, a couple of names have come up that I've seen:

Engineering Design in Geotechnics by Azizi

Soil Mechanics, Foundations and Earth Structures by Gregory P. Tschebotarioff (though this is fairly old)

In short, I'm looking for resources to design soil retaining walls using H piles and timber lagging as well as sheet piles and concrete caisson walls. Wall all would have live load surcharges above.

Software recommendations also appreciated. (I've read about PY Wall on this site)

Thanks in Advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks guys, I sourced Bowles on Amazon. Seems like the new edition comes with some software even.

I will check out the links to NY State.

Retaining walls are betterments for the owner. Sheeting and shoring are the means and methods of the contractor. These items often have different design standards and design earth pressures. After all, sheeting and shoring is for loading conditions that are for the duration of construction and retaining walls are there for the long haul.

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

For the geotechnical part- earth pressures, surcharges, etc. The Azizi book is more than sufficient. For the structural design of cantilever retaining walls, Ferguson's book of Reinforced Concrete Design, 1988 is the best I have seen. For Sheetpiles, Soldier Beams and Tiebacks, Foundation Engineering, 2nd ed, Jumikis or Foundation Engineering, Fang, 2nd edition are both great. You will have a fast learning curve if you develop your own spreadsheets or MathCAD file before trying commercial software.

Then if you decide that you really like this substructural field, ASCE had "Design and Performance of earth Retaining Structures" publication, every 20 years or so. It is worth whatever they are asking. Don't forget the DIN Manual "Recommendations on Excavations".

The CRSI Design Handbook has explanation, examples, and tables for cantilever retaining walls. This is the industry standard, and provides very good reference for preliminary design, final design, and software verification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back