Retaining Wall Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

micheal300

Civil/Environmental
Mar 24, 2009
IE
Hi Guys,

I am a civil engineer with little experience in the design of cantilever retaining walls. Can you guys point me in the direction of design guides, resources, etc. as I may have a need shortly to design a retaining wall. As a minimum I would like to just have the knowledge.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may consider purchasing "Basics of Retaining Wall Design" by Hugh Brooks. It is very thorough, illustrates with hand calculations and is all you need. It is available at RetainPro.com website.

CRSI Design Handbook is common on bookshelves in engineering firms. (Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute) The book is approx. $200.00 at their website. if you work, the chances are one is lying around somewhere at the office.

Yes, I generally start with the corps/Unified Command docs or local DOT, all available on line.

Seems sources like USACE, AASHTO, FHA, are so broadly referenced, you're likely to end up back there sooner or later anyway.

If you've picked up a PE Exam guide lately (McGraw Hill), the Structural Engineering In Depth portion has a few step-by-step problems that cover the basics (concrete, reinforcement, geo parameters).

One thing to consider is the broad range of materials and systems used for wall construction-- concrete and steel, wood, polymers. Many proprietary systems have 'manufacturer's' recommendations for design and construction.

Have fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back