Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retaining Wall - Quick Tables for Preliminary Design 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnB

Structural
Nov 28, 2002
IE

Hi

I am doing quite a few retaining walls at the moment and the ground conditions vary. The project is very preliminary and I don't want to spend too much design time on it at this stage. I was wondering if anybody has quick design table for retaining walls. I have spread sheets but tables would be quicker.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Vinny7

I have the UK RCC spread sheets for retaining walls. What I am really looking for is retaining wall tables which are used in North America. These tables would be very useful to me.

FinnB:

When you get the time, as retaining walls are a very common structures in the business, you should invest in developing your own retaining wall tables for various conditions. Over the past 25 years, they have saved me far more hours than it took to develop them. Whether youwrite your own program or buy one to do it, it is really money and time well spent.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

NKT

Thanks for the chart this is what I was looking for. Do you know what soil conditions the retaining wall is designed for - the soils angle of internal friction.

Couldn't quite make it out but am assuming the wall thickness is denoted as "F".

Concretemasonry

The walls are insitu concrete cantilever retaining walls.

Mike

I agree with the idea of a library of retaining walls I've done so many and every time I get a wall I'm starting from scratch.

Had another look at the chart and now see cases for differnt bearing pressures on the toe. Also see that F is bar spacing.

"F" is footing thickness
The different bearing pressures at the toe are for different load cases (surcharge, sloped fill, etc).
I don't see any mention of assumed soil properties.

There was a book put out years ago (about the same time as Winterkorn and Fang's Foundation Engr Handbook) - and it was "full" of retwall designs. Had everything - but sorry - mine is in storage and I've forgotten the name off the top of my head. I think it was a von Nostrand book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back