Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retention in CCA pilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosimo

Civil/Environmental
Jan 23, 2003
US
Are there any standards which dictate the minimum amount of retention to be maintained in a pile? e.g. a new pile treated to 2.5 PCF will need to retain 'x' PCF after so many years? Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never seen a specification for this purpose. Are you thinking of a short term or long term type of specification. On thing that we have had to do in Florida is wrap the piles in plastic to avoid leakage of the CCA treatment into the surrounding waters. This appears to have been a fairly low cost solution to this problem. If you are thinking long-term on a specification, I am not really sure how you would test it or more importantly enforce the issue with the Contractor. In order to cover yourself we always request certifications from the manufacturer noting that they have follow the appropriate wood treatment guidelines and have met require pcf for each pile

<a href="http:/pe-exam.com/">PE Exam Preparation</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back