Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Retractable Casters 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeSimulacra

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2003
US
I am designing a device that needs retractable casters. I found an example on-line in the Brunson 230-F but cannot work out how to design this. Has anyone got an idea?

Requirements: Retract/deploy 3 or 4 casters using foot or hand lever. Casters must lift load of approx. 200# approx 1/2" off floor.

I could buy a Brunson Stand and modify it but that would be more expensive and not really what I need.

Tanks,

DeSim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sawsupportcasters002.jpg

No, I can't take credit for the design. It's rather elegant I thought.

In fact, it's not even my saw, just a picture I found on the internet. I'm fortunate enough to have a sufficiently large shop space where I don't need to move my table saw.

Quote "Is there some reason that a retractable foot (with the caster remaining stationary) not an option? " Yes there is. I need the casters to retract.

Mint you got me thinking

Thanks Berkshire and SnTMan but yes I have. I probably could make those work but hope for something more oh hate to use this word but "elegant".

Been to Home Depot or LOWES to see the casters and legs they use on those roll around steel step ladders?
Some use springs above the casters just strong enuff to raise the step ladder feet slightly off the ground, but a person's weight plants it solidly on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back