Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

retrofit

Status
Not open for further replies.

a50860

Aerospace
Jan 28, 2012
US
If I designed a hangar door for IBC 2006 -> ASCE 7-05 and I need to replace it where the current governing code is IBC 2018 -> ASCE7-16, am I allowed to replace in kind, or do I need to consider the current code in force? Would the answer change for a repair rather than a replacement?

Thanks!

--
Mitch

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have a door designed to ASCE 7-05, and you want to build and install in an area where ASCE 7-16 is in effect, then I'd say this would be a "no go".

If you have a door designed and built to ASCE 7-05, and you want to install in an area where ASCE 7-16 is in effect, then I'd say this would be a "no go".

If you have a door designed and built to ASCE 7-05, and you want to repair it (to ASCE 7-05 standards) in an area where ASCE 7-16 is in effect, then I'd say this would be a "go".

"Wir hoffen, dass dieses Mal alles gut gehen wird!"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Legally - It depends on your local authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) and how they treat permits for construction and at what point (as a matter of the rehab percent of total construction value) where they require upgrades to current codes.

Practically - there may be your own in-house preference not to design to a code that significantly reduces the door's wind capacity, etc.
I don't think that 7-06 is significantly different (load-wise) than 7-16. That might be the first thing you check.

An example: A few years ago in California we were assigned a project on a 1950's era warehouse building that was being renovated to become a mail service facility. Structurally we weren't required to bring the whole structure up to code but could review the design, identify weak links, etc. and provide only our own optional upgrades - in conjunction with the owner's acceptance.

The old warehouse certainly didn't meet the code with respect to seismic requirements - even after we improved it. But it was allowed after discussions with the AHJ.

I know nothing about your jurisdiction or those codes specifically
I can tell you with 100% certainty that you would have to upgrade to the new code if you worked in my country
There is clear case law that the provision for "ALL work must comply to current code" takes precedence over any interpretation of "repair" or "like for like"

Without going into mental gymnastics on your various overlapping (somewhat) codes, the shortest route is to design to the current code.

Most of the changes between these codes are administrative more than actually changing the loads that dramatically anyway.

The definition of "repair" in the IEBC is very, very narrow.

Thanks everyone for taking time to respond! I agree that we should be looking at the current code in force if we will replace the entire door.

--
Mitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back