Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Return Flange Issue 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyblr

Automotive
Jul 12, 2011
US
Greetings,

Find attached a simple NX model of a cube with two sketches that I created to extrude tools and remove material fromt the cube. At their intersection, I want to create a flange. I've extruded the intersect to create a sheet and then thickened. When I try to unite with the main block, I get an error message due to a very small mismatch between the main block and the thickened flange. I'm not sure why. Any advice? I don't have any sheet metal packages with the NX 7.5 system I am using.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the Unite operation, change the "tolerance" to equal 1.

They will unite......then delete the smaller, funny looking flange face to clean up the model.

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing of your glass looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=dd92fddf-5db8-4f52-899e-e12410cc0c9c&file=return_flange_issue_KJH.prt
If you offset the bottom face of the flange into the block it will then unite. If you inspect the flange carefully, you will notice that the back face of the thicken is not the same as the back face of the block (a replace face can remedy this) nor is the top face of the flange a perfect offset of the top face of the block. This can be seen in my "optionA" file.

I tend to avoid thicken features where possible, the "optionB" file shows an alternative construction.

www.nxjournaling.com

Yep, cowski's go it. Can't get away with not offsetting that face first.

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing of your glass looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

All,

Thanks for the help and great input! I was able to solve my modeling issue using the tips from eex23 and cowski option B.

Have a great day!!

Johnnyblr

Niiiice one, JCBCAD. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back