Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reusable Bolts For Lifting Lug

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibrov

Structural
Nov 1, 2002
US
I am designing lifting “trunnions“ bolted to skid base. Skid will be loaded and unloaded several times during shipment and therefore these trunnions will be also bolted and unbolted several times. I would like to use the same bolts. In this case which bolts should be specified?

Thanks in advance,

Ibro Vehabovic, P.E.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

More information is need.
What is the total load? How will the bolting be loaded,tension,shear,or a combination of both?

I think this type design is inherently dangerous. I've seen a load fall due the substitution of bolts used on bolt on lifting lugs.

Any time you re-use bolts, they should not be high strength steel. And depending on the expected stresses, the abuse in service, whether static or dynamic loading and number of times to be re-used, a higher than normal safety factor should be incorporated in the design. I would also recommend double nuts for locking, if the application allows that the nut not be fully torqued.

I am not aware of any published guidelines on this, although chapter 1 of Parmley's "Standard Handbook of Fastening and Joining" touches upon the subject. Aside from the above, another good reference is Blake's "What Every Engineer Should Know About THreaded Fasteners", although it doesn't seem to address your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back