Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reversal of Transformer Phasing from Dyn11 to Dyn1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMA7875

Electrical
Apr 10, 2012
GB
Hi,

Come across a situation where an old 33/11 Dyn11 transformer has to be replaced. The old transformer was connected R-Y-B to U-V-W bushings on 33kV side and R-Y-B to u-v-w on the 11kV side. The new transformer orientation is such that it is very difficult to connect R-Y-B to U-V-W bushings on 33kV but to W-U-V due to base size and clearances etc. We cannot change the 3kV bus bars due to cost. We can change cables on 11kV side as they are replaced. I am a bit confused whether this connection will work. I have been told that by doing this I will change the vector group to Dyn1 instead of 11 but I don't know how it works. Normally there are links on LV side to convert Dyn11 to Dyn1 but not on this transformer (its an emergency replacement). I thought if we change the 11kV cables according to 33kV side (R-Y-B to w-u-v instead of v-u-w) it will be in phase with existing but there is definitely something I don't know. Phasing has never been my strongest area. Your expert opinion requested. I am in UK.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Connecting WUV as you describe should work as it retains the phase sequence. It's commonly called a "roll" in the UK. Do the same roll on both HV and LV sides. The way a Dy11 transformer changes to a Dy1 or vice versa is when you cross any two phases which changes the phase sequence, not when you roll them.
Regards
Marmite

Thanks for your answer Marmite,

Sincere apologies for a mistake in original post. When we rotate the transformer physically, only U and W bushings are swapped whereas V remains in the middle. This would mean a swap of only two phases or a transformation to Dy1 instead of Dy11. And I dont think we can do anything on the LV side to bring it back to Dy11 as we cant chnage the winding connections. So unfortunately this is not a roll anymore. The only option would be to ratate the transfomer in such a way that U-V-W can be connected to R-Y-B as before. Or am I missing something?

dpc,

Thanks. I found the FAQ a few hours ago and went through it. It really helped me understanding the pahsor references, vector group conversion and roation.

All,

The above FAQ has a reference to Basler Electric Company paper ( I was trying to understand figure 11 for Dy11 transforer on page 13 but got very confused. The H and x representation looks OK but the UVW doesn't look right to me. Looks like V and W vectors need to be swapped unless I am missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back