Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Reverse engineer a scanned 3d guitar neck stl file

Status
Not open for further replies.

poolrod2

Aerospace
Jan 23, 2017
US
Hi everyone, I tried it all and failed, is it possible to make a solid or surface out of all of the triangle surfaces so I can machine it. All I really need is the radius side of the neck to the foot and head without violating those areas. Just the grey area, except where the surfaces over run the foot and head. Thank you for your time. Rod.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e81a9125-8749-48d2-b453-a4dda969a6f4&file=REDRAW_NEW_MODEL_RAINIER.STL
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is my ball of yarn so to speak, tough to hemstitch.
mesh_mess_catia_alefbd.jpg

I took Jim's repaired model, put auto surface on it, added closed surface in Catia, but still have all the facets, see orange on the head. Any help would be great.
jim_B_surface_add_u4s7vj.jpg

I have tried Catia Solidworks AutoCAD Geomagic Hypermesh Meshlab Freecad Mastercam Spaceclaim Rhino and Maya and several software's that take 70 photos to make a solid. All failed me, maybe it's just me, ha ha. Any help would be great.

facets_all_over_rizgvj.jpg
It is all faceted surfaces, that I can't trim to the area I don't want to cut on the head and foot of the neck. I tried building blocks for the cutter to stay away from as shown below but still overlaps the heel and head.
Neck_blocks_sqy04w.jpg
Heel_Block_rt4lcg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back