Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Revision Clouds (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsuelflow

Structural
May 19, 2009
US
This is the continuation of the closed thread559-110830 RE: revision clouds.

Has SW intentionally ignored you and have come up with a “cloud” linetype?

The above thread is an interesting read on the esoteric value of standards however, in the real world you have to do what your boss wants and my boss wants revision clouds. Has anyone figured out a good way to make them?

I work in a sixty-some year old, large structural engineering firm and need to follow the (yes AutoCAD) standard. One of the hardest things I have to do is to match the standard so that my drawings look exactly like all the others made in AutoCAD. The SW drawing tool stinks enough as it is, I vote for clouds.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dsuelflow,

What do you mean by a revision cloud? Is this some sort of line that highlights the changes you made to your drawing?

Just use sketch tools to draw some sort of line around your revision. Wiggle it around so that it properly highlights your information, and so that it does not obscure any text. I have done this once or twice on my drawings. Sometimes, you need to show clearly what changes you made.

Are you suggesting that SolidWorks can do this automatically?

Critter.gif
JHG

It's literally the placement of fluffy cloud outlines on the drawing to highlight the area changed. My boss approached me about that one time and I soundly rejected it, which is a little easier for me since I'm the de facto subject matter expert on drawings.

My exact words where "I'm not putting cartoons on my engineering drawings." :)

Matt Lorono
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources
Co-moderator of Solidworks Yahoo! Group
and Mechnical.Engineering Yahoo! Group

In architecture and structural engineering (usually after the drawings have been sealed and permitted) it is common practice to “cloud” an area or item that has been changed along with a numbered triangle. In the title block there is a revision table with the number, description, date, approval & etc..

I've attached a jpg (i think) as an example but it does not show up in the preview, let me know if i doesn't...

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=93ac57f0-5ba9-4413-9edb-179d6bd648ac&file=RevCloud.jpg
Best way I can think of to do this is use the sketch tool (lines, arcs, whatever) to create a cloud box, use the line format tools to control line thickness and color (could control this with a layer as well)and then save the cloud as a block. You can then reuse the block and scale it up and down to fit different situations.

Not the best solution but a possible work around.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
Eastern Region SWUGN Representative SW 2007 SP 2.0

fcsuper,

I have done this two or three times over many hundreds of drawings. Sometimes, you have to send a revision out with a clear demonstration of what you changed. An engineering drawing is a communication resource.

Making a block out of the cloud is not a bad idea. It will make it easier to delete, later.

Critter.gif
JHG

A block is a good idea if it is a regular shape, I guess I’ll make several. For the odd shapes I’ll just have to play connect the arcs. To be honest, I am surprised at how many people don’t know what a revision cloud is. I guess you guys just don’t use them.

So the bottom line is that all linetypes are a collection of lines and spaces & cannot include shapes.

As to using it for 2d architecture, we are not, although it can and is used for precast concrete structures, which is why we bought it. (See my VAR We also use it for piers, bridges, LNG tanks and all kinds of other things. I love modeling with it, but the drawing tool…

rockguy,

I am designing a back yard shed with SolidWorks. It is working fine. I have drawings. I have a bill of material which I can manipulate to get total lengths for all my materials.

I have made all sorts of stupid carpentry mistakes on my computer screen, instead of in my back yard. My neighbours are going to think I know what I am doing.

Tip:
Create a building shaped blob. Add requirements stuff like windows, doors and rooms to the blob. Set the blob to not show up on the BOM. Set the blob's density to the smallest value SolidWorks will accept. 0.1kg/m[sup]3[/sup] is as much mass as a figment of my imagination should have. Use the blob to locate the actual building parts. I do this on stuff I am supposed to be working on.

Critter.gif
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back