Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Revision control of parts/assemblies 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

swertel

Mechanical
Dec 21, 2000
US
Finally, after nearly 2 years of owning the software, we are finally cutting the embilical cord on our 2D system and transitioning SWX, but what is the easiest way to maintain revision control of files without a PDM system.

We currently save the filename with the revision letter at the end of the part number. I think most people do this and it works very well. But what about references to assemblies?

For example, we have a part that is just cut blanks. It has over 90+ configurations and is currently on revision BV. Anytime we add another config (cut blank size either diameter or length), we rev the part. Nearly all of our manufactured parts reference this one part (using the Insert Base Part feature). SWX explorer could be used to rename the cut blank file to the new rev, but it doesn't find all the parts linked to the cut blank part and therefore they don't update.

We were thinking about controlling rev history only through the drawing file. The part/assembly file names would never change and thus we would not have "backup" files of old revisions. The drawing file name would continue the same procedure of having the rev letter in the filename, and the ECO's would have to be detailed enough so we could recreate old revisions if necessary. Seems like a gamble not worth taking.

Another option was to keep the current rev of the parts/assemblies without a revision letter. When we rev the drawing, we rename that file to include a revision letter and the new rev would not have the letter in its filename. That way, all assemblies and drawings always link to the same file and we maintain copies of old revisions to look at if necessary. The part/assembly models would not be totally dependent on the ECO to "retrieve" old revisions.

Personally, I think a SMALL PDM system is best, but for now is out of the question. What are your thoughts?

Scott Wertel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We were faced with the same issue about a year and a half ago. We also came up with the same ideas you mentioned above.

Another idea we came up was to control the revisions via configurations in the part/assembly models. This might resolve your problem, but it soes present the possible problem of beginning a change with the wrong configuration.

If you're a small company, this might be your best bet, for now. It all depends on how diligent your SolidWorks users are, and how much you risk by using incorrect data.

After spending months going over all of the pro's and con's of the various scenarios, it was determined that we really needed a PDM system to manage this data for us.

I hope this helps.

Lenny

We are facing the same problems right now. We went with SmarTeam to do the revving and taking care of all the other details. I've talked to several companies that have/are going down the same path. After it was said and done they wished if they could do it over again they would have pushed for a PDM software. It really depends on how diligent your people are. My 2 cents.

Why not work the revision history in reverse. I.E.
Save the oldest version as PartName and PartNameOrig.
Save next oldest version as PartNameA.
Use PartName in the assembly.

Save the Latest ALWAYS as PartName. Now the assembly will always update. If older assemblies are needed use the latest assembly and replace the necessary parts. Don't save the older version of the assembly. The only extra work is the rebuilding of older assemblies when necessary.

Joe Agro
joea@autodrill.com
Please pass by our website.

We do all of our details on one D-size sheet, which has multiple parts on the drawing. Can anybody tell me how I can insert a bill of material for all the parts and keep the relationships like for ballons and item numbers? I've tried to create a dumb assembly where all the parts are hidden and then insert that assembly into the drawing. Then insert a bom of the hidden assembly. And then insert all the detailed parts. This works but the item numbers in the bom are not linked to the seperate detailed parts on the sheet. I've only been using Solidworks for a month.
Thank you.

I have a request that is along the same lines. I want the balloons to show the actual part's part number in the balloon. They've added links to many other variables but not the actual part number. Does anyone have a way to achieve this ?

First of all, I need to know if you are running SWX2K or SWX2K1.

I loaded SWX2K1 and have read some of the new annotation information, but removed it and went back to 2K because 2K1 was so buggy. I can probably figure out 2K1 if you need.

In SWX2K, go to Tools-->Options-->Doc. Properties-->Balloons and change the BOM Balloon Text value to Custom.

When you insert your ballons at your assembly, no value appears in the balloon by default. Right click on the placed balloon and select Properties. Click in the box to add a value under the Balloon Note Text heading. You can either type the partnumber in or Link to a property. (Let me know if you are unfamiliar with linking to document properties.) This method does mean that you have to have defined the partnumber in the document properties of each part. A template would help with that. I can't recall off-hand, but I think 2K1 has a better link to the partnumber property of $partnumber rather than $prp@partnumber (as if you were using a design table).

--Scott Wertel

We are facing the same issue. Our concept now is to add part configurations for revisions. This will preserve part history. You can put lots of notes in the configuration header, too.
On drawings we think we can use new sheets for the revisions.
In an assembly you can change the part with reload or component properties, depending on what you want to accomplish.
In any event, the current or max rev level should be in the file/properties.
At this point we are not sure how well this will work.
--
Snow 'all the world wonders' Crash

In my previous company the standard practice was to save projects (all drawings, parts and assemblies) in one sub-folder, as "part number/revision". When a revision to any portion of the project occured, we simply did a Find References, and saved everything to a new sub-folder, with the new revision. The old rev was archived on CD and filed away.

So, if your company is small or not up to date on the latest MRP/ERP/SAP processes, you may want to give this a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back