Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Revision Letters vs. Numbers 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyO

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2005
US
I cannot find standards documentation on pre-production vs. production revision labeling. Does ANSI standards state a lettering vs. numbering preference?

Thank you, this website has been very helpful!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My company is adopting the X1,X2, etc. revisions for R&D, and the alpha series for post-release as well. We have selected our next project to use as a pilot, and my question goes out to those already using this system:
Whether you use the '-' or 'A' to signify project release, how do you convert all your files that currently have 'X' series revisions? Individually? We typically have several hundred files per project, and this would take many hours.
Also, a question for Don Peckham: What settings do you have that allow higher revision numbers for R&D than for production? My UG assemblies always assume the highest number / letter as the latest revision, and the numeric series supersedes the alpha series. Just curious how you made this work.
-Rod

We use 3 digit numbers for Prototype work, alpha revs for production work. When prototype parts are released to production, they go through drawing check. The people in drawing check convert the 000 to A as a final indicator that the drawing has been checked.

You are right, doing it manually does take time, maybe even weeks depending on the scale of the release.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Rod,
I agree that UG cannot do what Don says in native mode, but where does Don say he uses UG with or without Teamcenter? I can do what Don what says with Pro/E and Intralink.

What do you mean by "convert all your files"? Do you have the revision as part of the file naming convention? If so, just saveas to the new revision.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back