Revisiting MicroStation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirtleyCadLad

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2024
GB
Hi everyone
I'm new here and returning to using Microstation after many years of AutoCAD.
I used Microstation from 1989 to 1996 I initially on MS DOS with a dugitiser and puck instead of mouse, because Windows didn't exist at the beginning.
I used to much prefer it to AutocAD but had to switch as everyone used it at university and in subsequent jobs but I always preferred Microstation.
Now late in my career I have a job that demands I use Microstation again and I'm finding it a bit odd.

[ol 1]
[li]One of the things I find odd is the lack of a command line, I'm a fan of the single letter commands.[/li]
[li]Another thing is I like in ACAD using my RMB for Enter and I don't want a shortcut menu to appear.[/li]
[li]I've found out how to use ESC to exit a command and I'm getting used to the way you have to deselect by clicking away.[/li]
[li]I'm not feeling the Fence command as I can't see selections within it. Is there a way to change the display or am I just doing it wrong? I start the fence command then just click a corner to corner over a selection.[/li]
[/ol][ol ]
[li][/li]
[/ol]

So, if anyone has any quick tips on how I can do some of these things, if they are possible in Microstation or not, would be great.
Thanks in advance,
BCL

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You bet. It's so rare to see anyone anywhere on the interweb discussing Microstation.
1. One of the first things I always do, turn on the command line.
2. You can customize the mouse buttons to do other things.
3. Select has 2 basic modes. One allows continuous adding to the set. The other de-selects previous stuff when you re-initiate the command.
4. We used to use fence for everything. Since Selection (choose element) was introduced, it replaces most of those functions. When using the Element Selection tool, the fence will go away. Use one or the other, not both.
Your biggest hurdle may be adjusting to the user interface, it is quite different, it is flexible.
The other problem is the latest releases are bug laden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back