Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Revit MEP

Status
Not open for further replies.

alehman

Electrical
May 23, 1999
US
My firm has been asked to provide a price for designing a small but complex facility. The client wants an alternate price for doing the complete A/E design in Revit. We have all architectual/engineering disciplines in house, but so far only our architects and structural engineers are experienced with Revit.

I don't see much mention of Revit in this forum. Is anyone using Revit MEP? Is it usable for a real projects at this point? What sort of learning curve should we expect?

Alan
----
"It’s always fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have used Revit MEP on one project. If the architect had of used Revit it would have made our job much easier. The heat loss module is buggy since I used it on a house and it crashed. Generally it works pretty good.

Regards,
cvanoverbeke

Thanks cvanoverbeke. Apparently the industry isn't rushing to adopt this technology.

Alan
----

Revit MEP is getting better but it is not up to speed.
We can still go faster in autocad.
You should go to a Revit MEP training class because you would never figure it out on your own.

I think we'll all probably be using BIM in some form on our projects in a few years. But.. there seems to be a fairly steep learning curve and labor-intensive content creation process. I don't see a lot of "canned" electrical content for Revit yet. We talked to a few of the major electrical manufacturers and received responses from 'We have no intention of doing that - our data is proprietary.' to 'We are working on it now.'

We do plan to hire a consultant to help us implement Revit.

Alan
----

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back