Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Revit/Ram Workflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

strguy11

Structural
Nov 29, 2005
US
What are the typical steps most people are taking. Are you modeling in Revit first, then exporting to RAM for design, and then back to Revit, or start in Ram, and import into Revit?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am just now seriously exploring the possibility of linking RAM and Revit. From some testing I have done, it appears easier to model in RAM and then export to Revit.

The reverse method seems quirkier due to the more difficult modeling required in Revit (geometric model versus analytical model). Since RAM is the analytical engine, I feel more work has to be performed in Revit in order to send to RAM for analysis.

In my office, the engineers do not use Revit. We have draftsmen who model and detail using the Revit software. Currently our workflow involves creating the structural model in RAM and then via printouts and redlines, the draftsman will model the structure in Revit. If the link route become viable, I can foresee a significant time savings in exporting from RAM to Revit.

I also see in the future that my company will shift toward the engineer using Revit to begin the model. I think this will be beneficial in working through the framing of the structure. If this point is reached, I could foresee the Revit to RAM path being a better option since the engineer will have a much better understanding of how the analytical model should be setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back