Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Revit Structure 2008 + Best Analysis Software for Schematic? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averat

Structural
Mar 29, 2008
US
My firm has recently started using Revit Strcuture to work with our new client (Architect) who is using Revit Building. The project include a highrise and a mall with expressive (curved) roof + walls.

We are looking for the simplest analysis program to use with Revit Structure for quick sizing analysis for the Schematic Phase. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Autodesk owns Robobat now, so they like to push that as the most integrated analysis software. I don't personally know anything about Robobat. We use RAM in our office which links with Revit, it works but it has some issues. If you are doing curved beams you will have some problems with RAM.

My firm has not found any analysis software that will reliably work with Revit. Heck, we haven't found that Revit works reliably.

FYI, most firms who know what they're doing seem to be drawing basic floor framing plans and brace elevations in Revit, but leave all detailing to autocad.

I definitly understand the frustrations. Sometimes I think you have to be an engineer to use Revit. Sometimes I wonder if it's to complicated for our drafters, but I hope they can step up to the challenge.

Regardless, I think BIM is where the future is headed. I can't imagine that 20 years from now we'll all still be in 2D AutoCAD. There are many benefits over AutoCAD and Revit will continue to improve.

We have gained a couple clients because we use it and we have gotten compliments from architects and contractors on some of the 3D views we put on the drawings.

The main problem is staying within budget. Every project with Revit so far has been overbudget. I'm hoping it is just because of the learning curve.

I will second that statement about staying within budget on Revit projects. I've been the SE for 3 Revit projects and all have definitely gone over because of problems/difficulties with the program. Our mechanical and plumbing guys tried Revit out for three months and had to completely ditch the program and revert back to autocad because they just couldn't meet deadlines with it.

At this point I think Revit is mainly a marketing tool to gain clients who crave 3D presentations, but is not yet a good production tool. I think this is along the same lines of LowLax's post.

Autocad is still king of production software until Revit develops further.

Thanks Atomic25 and Lowlax!

Very interesting comments and useful.

Haven't had much to do with revit but its been in the back of my mind. Personally I think Autocad is a great piece of software but things are always improving.

I can see it will take time for revit to mature.

Robobat CBS Pro is developed specially for schematic & preliminary design, the model will take few minutes & result very simplified includes sizes, quantities, load check... .

Later in detailed design u can use the same model in ROBOT millennium.
Robobat has the best integrated programs linked with revit, since it is almost owned by Autodesk.

I am not sure about the capabilities of ETABS 2000 for curved beams. My main interest in using it with Revit Structure has been due its support of Canadian standards. Some of the others have limitations on the CSA standards which is a concern because there are differences from American standards.

Cvanoverbeke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back