Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rewind an induction motor (40 HP) from 25 Hz to 60 Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristi69

Electrical
Dec 13, 2006
CA
I would like to rewind an old induction motor (squire cage rotor) from 25 Hz to 60 Hz. Is this transformation possible? Thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is getting more and more educational. Very interesting.

But I do not understand "WAG". I googled and found lots of hotties. Does that mean that those motors are running hot?

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Scientific Engineered Wild Ass Gross Estimate = SEWAGE

"You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals" -- Booker T. Washington

itsmoked said:
Why did they even start at 25Hz?
I also read in a paper one time that at the lower frequencies large motors run more efficiently. But as mentioned, once Westinghouse and Tesla wanted to chase Edison's domination of lighting, they had to increase the frequency to get rid of flicker.

"You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals" -- Booker T. Washington

I used to work for an "old-timer" who remembers when Ontario switched from 25Hz to 60Hz when he was young. The way he told me the story: A technician from the utility company came and switched the motor in the clock they had in the family room. But his parents forgot to get him to change an alarm clock in their bedroom. So when the frequency changed on the grid, the alarm clock went around and around reeeealllly fast!

STF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back