Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rewire 3 Phase Mtr 440 t0 220(electrical)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbs

Civil/Environmental
Jun 3, 2002
US
I recently aquired a couple of 3 phase Yale Chain Hoists. They are wired for 440. I only have 220. When I opened them to switch wiring....there were no extras. 3 wires come directly from the windings. I have a diagram from the company but haven't a clue what to do next.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TBS------IF THE MOTORS ARE RATED AT 440V WITH ONLY 3 LEADS FOR SUPPLY THEN IT MAY BE RUN ON 220V SUPPLY,BUT THE INTERNAL CONNECTIONS WILL HAVE TO BE CHANGED ie THE MOTORS YOU HAVE ORIGINALY MAY HAVE "STAR"CONNECTIONS IN THE WINDINGS. SO TO RUN ON 220V 3PHASE THE MOTORS WILL HAVE TO BE RE-CONNECTED TO "DELTA" CONNECTIONS. I HOPE THIS ADVICE WILL HELP YOU. GOOD-LUCK.

Suggestion: It appears that 440/sqrt3=254V not 220V. Some 3-phase motors have on their windings a mid tap that enables the parallel connections of windings; therefore, the operation at 220V is possible, i.e. one half or 440V.

just use a 3 phase distribution transformer-wire it in
reverse..480 to 208/120-use the 208 side as your 3ph input and wire the chain hoists to the 440V side of the transformer..

I have a small AC electric motor which I am trying to use for another application. The motor has four connections with white, green, black and red wires attached. Someone else in the history of this motor combined the white/green and the red/black in order to use a two prong plug. The power cord is shot and I am trying to replace it, but am unsure of how to connect the four wires into three. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back