Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Riding rolling scaffolding 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFRs

Petroleum
Nov 22, 2002
US
Is it allowed to ride rolling scaffolding or does one have to climb down and back up? I plan to be 100% tied off to a structure at shoulder height. The scaffold tower will be about 50 feet high. I have about 500 feet of roof structure to inspect. Climbing up and down 50 times will be tiring but I want to follow all guidelines. There are no other options at this time - a motorized lift like a JLG can't get inside, even the scaffolding will be stick-built due to access issues. Thanks!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A fifty-foot rolling scaffold? Not something I'd want to ride.

I've ridden numerous rolling scaffolds of the 8 to 12-foot height, but a 50' rolling scaffold would be unstable.

For something like this I would use a horizontal line and tie off to that, then walk the roof.

I understand your concerns but the roof must be inspected from underneath. It is not accessible from the top without cutting large holes. The scaffold tower will have appropriate outriggers. This is not that unusual for my industry. My question remains - can the tower be occupied by a tied-off worker while it is moving?

IFRs...sorry, I was thinking outside the building,not inside.

1910.28(a)(5)
Scaffolds and other devices mentioned or described in this section shall be maintained in safe condition. Scaffolds shall not be altered or moved horizontally while they are in use or occupied.is the requirement from OSHA 29 CFR 1910...

NO.

Thanks. I thought as much. Oh well, I'll just have to climb up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, up-down, etc.

Don't ride it - even if it is 8' tall......

Not per OSHA and I have seen a few incindents where a caster broke, they hit a 2x4 on the ground, yada, yada and the scaffold fell over or listed.

One incident - the bottom of a tank "Coke canned" or popped down a few inches causing the scaffold to tip over.

Mike - I will be 100% tied off to the roof structure so even if the scaffold fell over I would not go with it. Frankly I'd almost prefer that to losing my grip after the 37th trip up and down due to hand fatigue or glove slippage. In any case I will NOT be riding the scaffold around. I may use a saf-t-climb. By the way - where was your Coke can episode? I was invited to be an expert witness for a scaffold that tipped over due to movement in a tank bottom causing great bodily harm to the worker who fell with it. I am curious as to the specifics of your example.

It was in the Northwest...

If you are tied off to independent lifelife - I suppose you could ride it. But what is your rescue plan???

Thirty minutes in a harness and you may be dead... or worse - alive with no legs. Circulation gets cut off.

It depends -
OSHA 3150
A Guide to Scaffold Use in the Construction Industry
(6) Employees shall not be allowed to ride on scaffolds unless the following conditions exist:
(i) The surface on which the scaffold is being moved is within 3 degrees of level, and free of pits, holes, and obstructions;
(ii) The height to base width ratio of the scaffold during movement is two to one or less, unless the scaffold is designed and constructed to meet or exceed nationally recognized stability test requirements such as those listed in paragraph (x) of Appendix A to this subpart (ANSI/SIA A92.5 and A92.6);
(iii) Outrigger frames, when used, are installed on both sides of the scaffold;
(iv) When power systems are used, the propelling force is applied directly to the wheels, and does not produce a speed in excess of 1 foot per second (.3 mps); and
(v) No employee is on any part of the scaffold which extends outward beyond the wheels, casters, or other supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back