Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rigid body and cohesive surface errors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohcine

Mechanical
Dec 26, 2012
US
Hello gentlemen,

I have two main problems with my simulation (attached file) on Abaqus (6.10) which i will explain later. I am modelling impact on laminated composite which has 8 plies that i have modeled seperately and connected together using Surface-based cohesive behavior in Explicit.

The first problem i have is error due to the defined Surface based cohesive behaviour. The error is :
"The interaction "Int-1" references a contact property (IntProp-1) that contains the damage or cohesive behavior option. These options cannot be specified for this type of interaction."

This problem is also experienced by another person :
Any idea how we can over come this?

Also I wish to ask that if I should use "cohesive element" instead of "cohesive surface" knowing that the thickness one ply is 0.725 mm, and the cohesive thickness is 0.01 mm (this was given in a research paper) to me the cohesive thickness is very small and hence assumed zero, is this reasonable?

The first problem persisted so I decided to "suppress" those interactions and try running the simulation too ensure I have set up everything correctly..I have was too optimistic :(. The

The second problem, is to do with modelling the impactor as a rigid body. I have defined the ref point on the body , I then went to "constrains" and select rigid body type ,then selected the whole impactor and finally the reference point. Then An error stating the following:
"The rigid bodies with the reference nodes contained in node set ErrNodeRefNodeNoRot1Axis have atleast one axis about which the rotary inertia magnitude is zero, and the rigid bodies have atleast one rotational degree of freedom which is unconstrained. Either rotary inertia must be defined at the reference nodes or all of the rotational degrees of freedom at the reference nodes must be constrained. See the status file for further details.

Abaqus/Explicit Packager exited with an error - Please see the status file for possible error messages if the file exists."

I have defined "inertias" for the impactor with a 5 kg mass, however there is another parameter called I11, I22, and I33 which i have no idea what they mean and how to calculated them. Must I specify them?

I tried in terms of application of constrains to go to load, then apply a BC for velocity-where I have ticked V1, V2, V3, to defined the velocity at which the impactor can move. Then I went to define a velocity for the impactor under the "predefined fields" Where I have in inputed zero velocity in the X and y direction , and a desired value in the direction.
I must not that some values i inputted are assumed value, I will change them later the correct values.

Thank you very much for your time, I have reached a dead end and my supervisor is not an advanced user of Abaqus, this leave the internet and the abaqus manual as the only sources of help available to me . I'm doing this for my disseration, year 4 Mechanical Engineering.

I have attached my work thus far,
Link to my work
Regards Mohcine

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have tried modelling the Impactor as a deformable part-just to get rid of the errors from the related to rigid body, and when the job is submitted, nothing happens :(. The impactor does not move , the step time remains zero, hence the Von mises stresses is zero .
I am doing something seriously wrong..

Please help me if you can.
Thank you very much

please send the inp file,i can't open the cae file
i can try to take a look and suggest what needs to be amended

no guarantee that it will works, i can try to suggest based on my little experience

I have no idea how to do that lol. I can only use the CEA :(. What are you modelling? I think we doing the same simulation...if so we can help each other :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back