Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rigid body

Status
Not open for further replies.

harid

Automotive
May 21, 2003
US
Hello Friends,

I would like to make a cylinder behave as a rigid body (showing no stresses in itself when it hits another body). Please help me out in detail how to go about with this. Various methods would be good so that I have more than one way to do this. Thank u all for ur favor.

bye
Harid

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello, Harid!

If you have a contact problem (as I understood) you must have only the contact area defined and with the help of contact wizard you will define a rigid-flexible contact selecting for the rigid part the contact area. I think this is the suitable way for your problem.

Best regards,

Justin Onisoru
-----------------------------------------------------------
Scientific Researcher
Romanian Academy - Institute of Solid Mechanics
Ctin Mille 15, P. O. Box 1-863
Bucharest 010141, Romania
tel +40 21 3153810, fax +40 21 3157478

Thank you Justin but I was kinda expecting the method using master nodes or something like that which i am not aware of.

Thanks
Harid

I did this a while back for denting aircraft skins. If I remember ansys has simple rigid shapes availble for this in the contact module. Other wise you could just create a sphere of dummy elements and then use cerig with the centroid node as the master. If I dig up my old program I could email relevant sections. Do you have ansys mechanical?

Hello, harid!

I try to complete my advice. Follow this advice and you could define pilot nodes it means nodes that control the behaviour of DOF's of the entire rigid body. You could impose in these pilot nodes displacements what you need and you will have good result. Once again you need only to define the external (contact) area of rigid body and use the contact wizard.

Best regards,

Justin Onisoru
Scientific Researcher
Romanian Academy - Institute of Solid Mechanics
Ctin Mille 15, P. O. Box 1-863
Bucharest 010141, Romania
tel +40 21 3153810, fax +40 21 3157478

Hello,

I presume it is a Contact analysis problem.Another method of creating a rigid body is constrain it in all the the avialable dof and insted of it hitting the body let the body hit it.If possible set the density and poissions ratio of the body abnormally high.

Regards,

caemaniac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back