Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rigid Conduit thread sealant-any acceptable? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanH

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2003
US
Reading NEC's sections on IMC and Rigid Conduit, I can't spot any definitive rules on whether pipe sealant is allowed or forbidden. Clearly it seems that using a compound which prevented electrical conductivity would be undesirable, but does anyone have any specific guidelines they could point me towards?

Also, are there any guidelines on this issue that would be specific for Class I Division 1 Hazardous Locations?

Thanks! -Evan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For a listed product, suggest T&B “Kopr-Shield” Don’t expect a perfect watertight seal, but preservation of raceway continuity during faults. Page 11 of
Another unlisted similar copper-particle antiseize paste is FelPro 'C5A'
For hazardous-location installations, Crouse-Hinds HTL or STL compounds are intended for the purpose.
Silver-particle antiseize pastes are Cool-Amp 'Conducto-Lube' and SwageLok 'Silver Goop'.
Page 11 of
Nickel-bearing compounds are Bostik-Findley ‘Never-Seez’ Pure Nickel Special and ‘Never-Seez’ Nickel Special, Nuclear Grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back