Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RIP ==> Prof Tom Murray from Virginia Tech 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingenuity

Structural
May 17, 2001
US
Prof Thomas Murray passed last week at age 84.

I attended several of his AISC "virtual" seminars. Always a very professional researcher and presenter.

I am guessing several "Hokies" enjoyed his engineering classes and lectures.

A memorial is here: Modern Steel Link

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I never met Tom Murray, as he came to Virginia Tech many years after I left. But his contributions to the profession are many, and he is a legend in Blacksburg.

Vibrations was certainly his most enduring achievement. He really advanced the industry with his publications in that field. He also was responsible for software on this subject (Floor Vibe?) that is still used.

That being said, he was also one of the author's of the AISC design guides on End Plate Moment connections. And, almost all of the research that I've read on this subject was done by his PhD students.

I imagine that he had other contributions for the Metal Building Manufactures Association over the years, but that's my field.

I feel privileged to have met him and interacted with him on the few occasions where our paths crossed. We've lost a giant in our field.

I was in Dr Murray's LRFD Steel Design class at Virginia Tech in 1998. One class he passed around an iron worker's wrench to let us feel what it's like to actually put the steel together. I still have the notes from that class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back