Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RIP Skogsgurra, Gunnar Englund 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

danw2

Industrial
Oct 21, 2004
US
It grieves me to report that Gunnar Englund died on June 14, 2021 only weeks after getting a diagnosis of cancer. He was a frequent contributor to this forum and wrote columns for the Swedish trade journal Electronik i Norden, which has published a eulogy at the link below. A Google translation of the eulogy follows the link.
Link

Skogsgurra has passed away

Posted on June 16th, 2021 by Göte Fagerfjäll

Gunnar Englund, a long-time writer in Electronics in the Nordics and an even more long-standing electronics and electric power guru, is gone. He died on June 14, just a few weeks after being diagnosed with cancer.

06gunnare04_bfqa1a.jpg

Gunnar Englund, 1940 - 2021

Many with me were impressed by Gunnar's wonderful combination of technical knowledge, experience, curiosity and ingenuity. Not everyone is privileged to be able to describe complicated events in a way that makes the reader laugh. Gunnar's chronicles attract reading, whether it is about historical constructions or the very latest findings in the field of electronics.

I do not even intend to try to summarize Gunnar's professional life. The time at ABB and Siemens, there are many others who know better and the same applies to large parts of his work as a consultant and designer in GKE Elektronik. We met quite often over the years and each time it was just as fun and interesting to interview him or just talk for a while. I actually do not remember how many times he wrote in the paper newspapers over the years.

In recent years, Gunnar became a regular columnist in Electronics in the Nordic countries. It fit him like a glove, the response from readers was great and the discussions were always interesting. Gunnar was also great as a sounding board. In most areas he was very knowledgeable and in some areas he was absolutely fantastic. And his experience was invaluable. This did not only apply to the electronics field.

Nothing lasts forever and now Gunnar is gone. Hopefully there are some chronicles left to publish, but the discussion with the readers is over. Personally, I have lost a good friend and a fantastic ballpark for new and old ideas. It feels heavy.

Here is the link to Gunnar's chronicles in recent years. They are well worth both reading and re-reading. In addition, there will hopefully be more chronicles so keep your eyes open.

Gunnar Englund turned 81 three weeks ago.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I too interacted with him in this forum and it was great.
It is sad we can't have him anymore!
RIP Gunnar Englund Sir!!
We are grateful to you for sharing your wealth of knowledge generously with people like me.

Thanks Sir for letting us know!!

I have never meet him in real life as I can remember, he might have been on some event by ABB or Siemens that I have been to, but then it was a short encounter.
I have seen his alias here on the forum sometimes and it was know doubt that he was Swedish. :)
I would have liked to discuss things with him I am sure, I am sorry I never got the chance.
May he rest in peace and I hope his legacy will not be forgotten.

Best Regards Anna

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

I am very saddened to hear this, although not surprised. I considered him a friend from afar and have conversed and corresponded with him many times over the years, but lately he had fallen silent. He and his wife Karen came out to the San Francisco Bay Area for a visit years ago, had lunch with member itsmoked (Keith) and all of our wives. Gunnar and Karen also joined us the next day when my wife and son were acting in a local play, we had a lot of fun together. I still have one of his prized miniature "Eng-Tips Slide Rules" and Pocket Protector that he had made up as spurious "awards" for meritorious postings years ago. I'll have to dig deep in my boxes of memorabilia to find them, but I know I still have them somewhere. Skogs was a gem and will be sorely missed.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

He was undoubtedly a great contributor to the technical content and cameraderie at eng-tips.
I know I learned a lot from him.

I have to confess, we had a few heated arguments along the way. And not about politics (as might come to mind today), but just simple technical disagreements about what was said by one of us or the other. It's the way forums go sometimes. It's water long under the bridge or me. I hope it was for him as well.

The posts and stars are not a measure of the man, but here is a link to his profile in case you ever get the urge to browse some of his posts

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Pete said:
I have to confess, we had a few heated arguments along the way.
I had a couple of disagreements with Gunnar.
Always two things happened;
I lost.
I learned something new.
Eventually,when I disagreed with one of gunnar's posrs, I would always think;
"What don't I know here?"

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Haven't been on here for a little while, and I log in this evening to read this news. [sad]

I've learnt a great deal from Gunnar over the many years he's posted in the technical fora here, but more than that I'll miss the humour and wisdom which came across the language barrier so well. I will miss him.

Good to see you again, Scotty. I was thinking about sending you an email to see how you were surviving COVID.
We all miss Gunnar.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back