Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Risa Floor roof and floor modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTengr

Structural
Feb 9, 2005
US
First, thanks to all that make these forums a fantastic resource.

I'm a fairly new user to 3D and Floor. My steel framed buildings typically have two types of roof/floor assemblies.

What is the best way to model these two types of floors with respect to program inputs:

Roof: 20 or 22 ga B-deck with insulation and EPDM above and the deck is fastened to bar joists and WF beams with a 36/4 or similar pattern.

Floor: 6 inch total thickness concrete on a 20 ga, 1 1/2" B-Lok "composite" metal deck.
I don't intend to use shear studs on my beams. I use quotes on composite because in Floor it appears that all references to composite is to the beam-slab composite action afforded by shear studs, even though the B-Lok is also composite...in its own way. Is this correct?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not very familiar with B-Lok, but you are correct in that all references to composite steel beams in Floor are based on shear studs transferring the shear between the slab and the beam. I suppose there might be a way to "fake it" with an equivalent spacing of shear studs. But, I am not familiar enough with B-Lok to go into any details.

The roof deck is easy. There is just a span direction for the deck and a self weight of the deck. If you enter that in as your deck definitions then you only need to define the deck direction of the floor level. This can be done by using the default deck for that floor level (on the Floors spreadsheet), or by drawing in a specific deck area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back