Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Risa license key not recognized when starting RisaFoundation or RisaConnection 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jocargil

Civil/Environmental
Mar 22, 2007
GT
I have a perpetual license key to run Risa3D (v15) RisaFoundation (v9) and RisaConnection v(6) (not current versions as you may note). I have no problem to start Risa3D, but when I try to open directly the other two programs (foundation and connection) I got the message that no sentinel key was found. I manage to access those programs via the "director" link within Risa3D (the key is recognized if done it that way), but it is necesary to create or load a model and solve it in order to be able to link the other program. If you there have a suggestion on how to correct that issue I would appreciate it. (I am using those 64bit programs in a Windows 10 laptop)

Thank you in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jocargil -

My belief is that it must be a driver issue. Try installing the latest version of the Sentinel Driver from their website (version 7.6.0, I believe). For awhile, there were issues with Windows 10. Where the older drivers usually worked, but not always. It took awhile for Sentinel to release a new one with full Win10 support. It also took RISA a while to include in their installs.

You'll have to re-start your computer after installing.

If that doesn't work, let me know.... One other possibility would be if you were accessing the computer through a Remote Desktop Session.

Thank you very much for your assistance JoshPlum!

I have installed the latest version of the Sentinel Driver. I tried a clean uninstall and re-installation of the driver (following the instructions of the manual) but it doesn´t resolve the issue. Maybe trying to uninstall and re-install RisaConnectiond and RisaFoundation could be the next step, but I have certain worries of doing that.

Can you let me know exactly what versions you have on your system? This can be navigating to the directory where RISA is installed and then right clicking on the exe and looking at the "Properties". Specifically, the "Details" tab. For example, in the image below, I navigated to the directory, right clicked on risa3dw.exe. On the details tab of the file properties, I can see that this is version 17.0.2.

image_erwjor.png

The reason why I ask is because it is possible that the versions of RISA-3D, and RISAFoundation may be compatible with different versions of the Sentinel Driver.

BTW, what "manual" were you talking about which told you how to re-install the driver? And, where did you get the driver? If it was from the RISA installation, then it's quite possible that it's not the latest driver. That's why I included the link to the Gemalto / Sentinel website where you should be able to get the very latest driver.

JoshPlum,

I have installed the Risa3D version 15.0.2.0, RisaFoundation 9.0.2.0 and RisaConnection 6.0.1.0. I think I have the latest version of the key driver installed (SafeNet 7.6.0.0) which I downloaded a few months ago.

The manual I mentioned is actually the Risa Licensing help, and I followed the SSD cleanup there descrived. By the way, according to that licensing help, I have the oldest Sentinel USB key.

Thanks again!

3D v 15.0.2 and Foundation 9.0.2 should have all the same internal calls for the hardware key. So, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work the same.
But, you're saying that 3D works and foundation doesn't. Correct? Note: one of the reasons why I asked you to look at the version imprinted on the EXE itself, is that I've seen cases where the exe didn't get properly installed. Where the user didn't realize that there was a RISAFoundation process running in the background when they installed. So, the installation routine couldn't install the update for 6.0.2 and the exe still says 6.0.0. Very rare, but when it happens, the user wouldn't get any warning.

RISAConnection v 9.0.2, on the other hand was released a number of months earlier. Also, it's licensing is handled using a "library" rather than being directly embedded in the program. So, both things could explain how there could be differences in the way the licensing of that program works. Note: RISAConnection (when launched from within RISA-3D) using the RISA-3D type of license calls. That's why it works from within RISA.

If you go to window's Device Manager and look at the Universal Serial Bus Controllers and look at the properties of the Sentinel USB SuperPro / UltraPro driver, what version of the driver does it say you're running? Probably 7.6.0 like you suggested. But, it never hurts to be 100% sure.

Lastly, when you start up each program and go to Help - About, are they all telling you that you're running the 64 bit versions of the programs?

As a follow up, albeit a very late one, I have been in contact with another engineer with a similar problem. He was able to resolve it (without my help!) by going throug this article from RISA.

Essentially, when he runs the program in Windows 8 compatibility mode, that fixes the problem. So, for anyone out there with similar issues, you might want to read through that article or try the various "compatibility modes" that Windows offers.

Thank you very much Josh for publishing this solution.
Effectively, it solved my problems. Now I can run RisaFoundation and RisaConnection directly (not via the Risa3D director). I hadn't that problem with Risa3D because, as I have just checked, it had already beeing running in compatibility mode (I do not remember when or why I changed this selection).
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back