Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rising stem ball valve substitute 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivarfar

Petroleum
Jan 12, 2006
NO
Our customer has specified rising stem ball valves for some applications. These are hard to come by and only manufactured by a very, very limited number of companies.
Does anybody know of ball valves that have similar properties, i.e. very good tightness and wear properties?(...at least as claimed by the manufacturer.)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you looking for something like a Fisher V300 v-ball?

Worcester also makes some pretty good ball valves.

These are rotary actuated ball valves.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with rising stem ball valves.

Orbit is part of Cooper Cameron. Consider the single direction tight shutoff issue if it is a concern. Texsteam may have a similar product.

In services where we have used Orbit (successfully) but are trying to reduce cost and weight we have begun to specify Zwick, Tyco Vanessa, FCX Orton triple offset butterfly valves and for the smaller valves, metal seated floating ball valves like Mogas, Valvtechnologies, Valvtron work well (but require a comparatively large actuator).

Rising stem ball valves? I don't even know how you would do that. I've worked with rising-stem globe valve and gate valves for all my life.

Would a rising-stem ball valve be an on/off device like most ball valves or a throttling device like Fisher's excellent V-Ball line?

David

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The harder I work, the luckier I seem

The rising stem ball valve is an adaption of the quarter turn ball valve. The ball is turned by means of a sliding helical guide. Example: Grove Omega Rising Stem Ball Valve. As I understand the ball rotates away from the seals until the final closing movement.

Problem: CCV has bought up all competitors that I know of.

The valve you are describing seems to be an Orbit valve.

Their design is certainly good. I belive that other ball valve and ball valve design are just as good.

If you don't want a CCV valve, I believe Flowserve is still its own company. They carry the Durco and Worcester lines of valves, which are also very good.

As zdas04 can confirm, Fisher ball valves are also very good.

Is this what you are looking for?

ivarfar,
The Orbit valve has a unique configuration that is similar to only a few valves. The Tru-seal plug valve by Orbit has a somewhat similar plug motion that lifts plug away from seat before it turns to align the plug port with the flow.
The General Valve Twin-seal plug valve, and the Homestead Lever Seald plug valve, and the Stockham Wedge-plug valve were other valves that lifted the plug away from seat before turning the plug to align port with the flow.
I had seen some Orbit rising stem ball valves at the bottom discharge of clay treaters. The application might otherwise have used Fetterolf or Strahman flush bottom outlet valves. The Orbit valve seem to have been applied mostly in the oil patch / gas production industry such that only the carbon steel body has had significant production. The Orbit valve has a very good stem packing design with injectable PTFE paste sealant for maintenance of tightness.

ivarfar,

One more unusual ball valve design that might fit the application where the Orbit valves are used. There is the HEMIWEDGE ball valve that has a a fixed position ball core with a hemispherical wedge that rotates between the ball and the body. A simple way to visualize it might be to take a knife gate valve and form the gate into curved plate that performs the shutoff. The orginal company has been acquired by Shumate Indus., see webpage,

I have yet to see one of these in service or as a sample. Their applications list included geothermal steam and brine, which could be very severe. Of course price is not mentioned. Maybe someone else has seen or used these.

Hi Ivarfar,

As you know there were a few manufacturers of the rising stem ball valve:
The Orbit, the Dresser Omega and Control Seal from The Netherlands, all these true rising stem ball valve manufacturers are now part of Cooper Cameron.

As a spin off from this merger a new Dutch manufacturer has started: Nether Seal, their site is
As you might be aware, both Orbit nor Omega have a below seal design, Nether Seal does!

Hope it helps you find an alternative for CCV, good luck.

Marcel

Have you tried looking at a remanufactured valve, with the customers approval. A good alternative for saving cost and if time is an issue. CCV which manufactures Orbit has an aftermarket group ,Valvserv, which will remanufacture an old Orbit valve. They have a yard filled with valves waiting to be rebuilt.

Just an alternative, you cannot get these monagramed to API6D since it doesn't cover remanufactured valves but they'll certify that it meets 6D end to end & testing.

Do I understand that CCV sells used valves? This is interesting. Do they come with original material certs or do you have to take them as is? Do you (mytsurfer) have experiance with (price / delivery)versus new valves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back