Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RiverCAD and HEC-RAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks powerful. I've never heard of it, but I am going to forward the link to my fellow HECRAS personel. If I get any feedback, I will share it. Thanks.

Engineering is the practice of the art of science - Steve

I have used it before. It was an older version and the size of the jobs (existing FEMA studies we were altering) with large 3d topo files made my computer go slowly. It may have just been my computer being out of date though. If you have some ArcGIS software check out the HEC-GeoRas programs here At my last job I managed to get the GIS installed but never had a chance to try out the free Corps software. It is supposed to do the same types of things I believe. RiverCAD wasn't that bad though for flood plain mapping.

I use it very often doing floodplain work and open channel hydraulics. The software is very good and integrates well with AutoCAD. I do get bugs here and there since they just released RiverCAD XP last year, but when I do I send the information over to BOSS and they get back to me within the hour!

For the price you can't beat it especially since you get lifetime support on the product.

Geo-RAS is better only if you are using GIS software. If you are in a AutoCAD environment RiverCAD is great!

Hope that helps.

Colin

We have used quite often HEC GEO-RAS for modelling large rivers.

It is not extremely easy to use, because of some few minor bugs, however it is powerful.

We have just tested RIVER CAD last week.

I confirm Colin's opinion :

- if you already use ARC GIS please go for HEC GEO-RAS ( it's free ) in one-two days you'll learn how to use it

- if you should buy ARC-GIS ( and learn to use it .... ) please go for RIVER CAD in the AUTOCAD environment. One engineer of ours, who never used ARC-GIS before, spent ten days just to learn how to use both software before starting working.

Antonio Pietrangeli
Studio Pietrangeli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back