Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Riveting Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

eski1

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2004
GB
Ok now that I've got your attention I'm looking for some help with selecting the correct riveting procedure for a project I'm working on.
We are making some Stillages from 2.5mm Galvanised Steel to hold Scaffold Metal pipes. The stillages are approximately 3m long by 0.8m x 0.8m in size and i have attached a picture of an end of one just to get the idea. In total the stillage has to be load rated to 2000kg. We have designed this to be a assembled together modular item i.e. all made out of profiles , folded then galvanised & fitted together as this will help it be more scalable . Rather than use bolts to connect all the panels together we wish to use Rivets so the finished item can't be easily disassembled. Historically we have always used pop rivets in our factory but feel we need a better solution for this application due to there being some higher Shear loads on the rivet and ideally need the rivet to be fairly smooth both sides of the sheet as people will have their hands come in contact with these I'm sure as part of loading and unloading the metal scaffold tubes.

We have no experience of any rivets apart from pop rivets so any advice would be appreciated including how to fit them.
Thanks in advance
Chris

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4c7498c2-417e-44df-a975-854d0c4dacaa&file=Stillage.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This was a fairly easy problem until you mentioned that the rivets had to be smooth on both sides of the sheet. there are several solid stem rivets by manufacturers such as Cherry, Huck, and other makers that have a solid core locked in by a retaining ring that would satisfy your shear strength requirements however they all have a jagged edge where the pull stem breaks off.
Solid riveting would meet both requirements, however there is a learning curve to do this quickly and efficiently.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back