Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

rivets 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

planemech

Jan 19, 2011
US
Guys,
what is the minimum factory head dimensions for an ad universal head rivet thats been sanded during paint prep?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've got "chapter & verse" somewhere in my "filing system", but a ballpark go/no-go method is to use a rivet set, eg a #4 set for a #4 AD rivet, and if the circumferential edge of the set touches the skin, when placed on the manufactured head, the rivet must be replaced.

In other words, with the set resting on the rivet head, 90 degrees to the skin surface, there should be clearance between the skin & the set.

If I get time I'll dig up the AC.

John and thruthefence,
thanks for all you great input, but I think we came to the conclusion that the guys gonna have to replace a lot of rivets or swap out both wings for repaired wings. peace

This may qualify as an "Urban Legend", but it was told to me as the truth, and it was about an old local aviator, recently deceased.

Guy finally decides to get his ragged out old Piper Apache painted; takes it to a newly opened paint facility, and after a few weeks, the work is done, looks great, & he flys it home.

bunch of his old moss-back buddies come by the hangar to look at the work, and somebody notes how smooth the paint job is, like a corporate jet!! Well closer inspection showed that the rivets had been sanded down nearly flush during the stripping operation. The aircraft was in fact a write off, and the shop's insurance paid off, if you can believe it.

Good help is hard to find.

Concur...

MIL-STD-403 and MIL-STD-40007 have min head height correlations that are pretty close to MIL-R-47196.

NOTE. MIL-R-47196 has been replaced by NASM47196

Regards, Wil Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back